[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: _DNS_ security problems

On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Rich Salz wrote:

> I'll start by saying that your not confused me.  On alternate readings it

Huh?

Anyway, I'm not sure you and I _do_ disagree.

> seemed to me that you switched viewpoints and now agree with me.  But in
> true email style, I won't let that stop me arguing with you. :)

:)

> >Are you saying that the folks working on sendmail are _not_ responsible
> >for knowing the implications of using syslog?  Eric scheduled and
> >deployed a fix - the java team has apparently scheduled one.
>
> No, whoever uses syslog should know its limitations.  Knowing C and knowing

In an ideal world, sure, everyone would be omniscient.

However, it makes at _least_ as much sense to fix the oddities in
syslog/DNS, as it does to slap the hands of people who wrote code that
does not take those oddities into account.  I tend to argue that it makes
"more sense".